Columbus Radiology’s Imaging Guidance & Important Information For Our Community.
COVID-19 Ordering Guidelines
Columbus Radiology is recommending the following imaging guidelines for suspected or confirmed COVID-19 patients:
- For stable patients, there is currently NO role for imaging in the diagnosis of COVID-19
- For unstable patients, initial chest imaging should be a portable chest radiograph
- CT should not be used to screen for or as a first-line test to diagnose COVID-19
- CT should be used sparingly and reserved for hospitalized, symptomatic patients with specific clinical indications for CT
- The use of advanced imaging (CT, MRI, US, NM) in a patient with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 should be discussed directly between attending physician and radiologist
These recommendations reflect current recommendations from the American College of Radiology. This is an evolving situation, and we will continue to revisit these guidelines as needed.
(Updated March 20, 2020)